Wednesday, July 27, 2011

One Day at a Time

Steve and I got away this morning for some coffee at DunnBros and a much needed "catch up" time.  We were able to talk through and process our time away, his time in India (more to come on that), our time Stateside, talk through going back to Korea (which has been really hard for me to think about), and catch up on some goals we have as we return to Korea.  It was a great time of catching up and being able to talk with no distractions and no agenda.  We haven't been able to do that much in the last 10 months, we need to find a way to do it more.

After coffee we walked next store to a cute little used book shop and browsed....not that we really needed any more new books to haul back with us (I think we've bought several too many already) but book stores are just sooooo irrisistable.

I found a slim pale yellow tattered book from the 1960s called "Moments of Awareness: Inspirational Verses" in the .99cent bin.  Flipping it open I "happened" on this thought:

"One Day at a Time" by Helen Lowrie Marshall

"I'm glad life is given us bit by bit,
In minutes and days and years;
For if we were faced with the whole of it
How filled it would be with fears;
With all of its laughter and all of its pain,
It's sorrow and joy and care --
Why, even its beauty all at one time
Would be more than we could bear.

But God drops a bit of happiness here,
And lowers a shadow there,
And each of us has his portion of both,
The bitter and the fair.
And, wheather the way be rough or fine,
It's a comforting thing to know
We've only one step to take at a time,
Just one little day to go."

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, I know how hard it is leaving family and friends. But, just think of the huge impact your ministry has had already over here. You and Steve have impacted the lives of so many young people, including my daughter. That and we kinda like you guys, too! For selfish reasons I say "hurry back to Korea!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sweet young friend whom I've never met in person... What a beautiful poem! What a beautiful young woman,husband,and son your family makes. Know that I'm praying during this time of good-byes and transitions. I shared the poem with my friends in my ladies bible study tonight. I asked them to be praying for you, Steve, and Caleb. Love across the miles and up in prayer for you.

    ReplyDelete