Friday, December 16, 2011

Our first visitor in Korea!!!!

When I was a little girl, my parents were missionaries in West Africa.  I was born there and I grew up many of my growing up years there.  One special memory that sticks out in my mind is of the Decker family.  The Deckers were also missionaries in the same region as us and they were a special part of our lives.  I distinctly remember "Uncle Dave" (as we called him) coming to visit us from Liberia when we lived in Guinea.  I must have been 3 or 4 years old at the time and it was a BIG DEAL that Uncle Dave was coming to visit!  I still remember the excitement.  Of course, there are other special memories from the Decker family but that one sticks out as fun because two weeks ago Uncle Dave came to visit us in Korea!  Well, not really.  He came on business with SIM and I happened to hear from my mom that he would be in Korea so we got in contact and had dinner.  But it was still fun to now have him visiting in another country some 23-ish years later.

Unfortunately, he wasn't in our neck of the woods but we were able to travel by bus



and then by train


and several other trains




 to meet up with him.



 He was in an area we were totally unfamiliar with so we didn't have any great places to take him or fun things to show him but it was fun to introduce Caleb and spend some time walking around Korea. It was also really fun to have our first (kind of) visitor in Korea.  We've been longing for friends and family and familiar to come visit us in our new home and our new familiar, to be able to introduce so many of you who we love to a new part of who we are.  So it was fun to *kind of* have someone we know come visit us in Korea.  Thanks for taking the time to see us and for dinner, Uncle Dave! Next time Aunt Mary should come too.

No comments:

Post a Comment