Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A Tradition

Both my parents have always been there for me and supported me, been a huge source of support and love - it is one thing that I was reminded of a lot during my recent home study personal interview when asked about my family of origin and growing up years.  I was blessed to have supportive, caring, loving and committed parents. 






Dad and Mom on my wedding day - June 6, 2008


 My dad and I grew especially close during my college years, after a rough patch as a high school student.

 

During college, one special point of connection was a devotional that my dad bought me called "Spurgeon Morning and Evening."  Maybe you have heard of it? Maybe you enjoy it daily as well?  It is filled with a short devotional for each morning and each evening, written by Charles Spurgeon.  My dad gave me a copy in college and we both read it as a devotional and would occasionally email about what we enjoyed.  It's a tradition I have continued (off and on) since then.

This morning's section really encouraged me, here is part of what was written for May 22 Morning:

"By honor and dishonor, by evil report and by good report, by plenty and by poverty, by joy and by distress, by persecution and by peace - by all these things your spiritual life is maintained and by each of these you are helped on your way. Do not think, believer, that your sorrows are out of God's plan; they are necessary parts if it. 'Through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom' Learn, then, to count it all joy when you meet trials of various kinds."


Oh Let my trembling soul be still,
And trust Thy wise, Thy holy will!
I cannot, Lord, Thy purpose see,
Yet all is well since ruled by Thee.

What comforting words in times like these, what a solid Rock we can stand on regardless of circumstance.


No comments:

Post a Comment