Saturday, October 2, 2010

"Background"

So I don't usually share Steve's love and enthusiasm for Christian rap (yes, you may go ahead and laugh now) but I do have to say that the lyrics are usually exceptionally deep and filled with more truth in a short amount of breath than anything I've ever heard.  And I like that.  But recently Steve bought Lecrae's latest album "Rehab" and we've been living in it together.  It's a slightly different sound than his previous ones (in my uneducated rap experience) and I like it.  It is less rappy and they don't rap as fast so I can actually understand it =)  But anyway, we love several of the songs on the CD and one in particular I'd like to share.  So for everyone else out there (like myself) who isn't into rap music, I hope you enjoy the poetry.

"I know I’m safest when I’m in Your will, and trust Your Word
I know I’m dangerous when I trust myself, my vision blurred
And I ain’t got no time to play life’s foolish games
Got plenty aims, but do they really Glorify Your name?
And it’s a shame, the way I want to do these things for You
Don’t even cling to you, take time to sit and gleam from You
Seems You were patient in my ignorance
If ignorance is bliss, it’s ’cause she never heard of this"

"I had a dream that I was captain of my soul
I was master of my fate, lost control. and then I sank
So I don’t want to take the lead, ’cause I’m prone to make mistakes
All the folks who follow me, going end up in the wrong place
So let me just shadow you, let me trace your lines
Matter of fact, just take my pen, here, you create my rhymes
‘Cause if I do this by myself, I’m scared that I’ll succeed
And no longer trust in you, ’cause I only trust in me
And see, that’s how you end up headed to destruction
Paving a road to nowhere, pour your life out for nothing
You pulled my card, I’m bluffing, You know what’s in my hand
Me, I’m just going to trust you, You cause the dice to land
I’m in control of nothing, follow you at any cost
Some call it sovereign will, all I know is you the boss
Man, I’m so at ease, I’m so content
I’ll play the background, like it’s an instrument"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHnZRZiCYHE

I think it captures some of our feelings/reasons behind deciding to move to a country on the other side of the world and maybe that is why we enjoy it on repeat this weekend. 

1 comment:

  1. I recently got turned on to Lacrae from a friend that shared some of his music with me. I could relate and laughed about your thoughts on rap music! :)

    ReplyDelete