Thursday, April 19, 2012

"Fields of the Fatherless"

I started and finished reading "Fields of the Fatherless" by Tom Davis this week.  We had a busy week and I didn't feel like I had a lot of downtime but it was just that good.  I was up till past midnight several nights, wanting to eat it up.  Regardless of your ability (or desire) to adopt or not adopt, I would highly recommend this book.  It's for everyone, not just for those actively pursuing adoption.  It isn't a long book and it isn't a hard read but it contains some great truth and also encourages you to look beyond yourself.

I think what I liked best about it is that, although it does talk specifically about adoption, it brought a wider viewpoint:  it looked at the hurting world as a whole and shared the vast needs beyond the one solution of adopting.  Like I have said before, not everyone can or should adopt.  But I do believe it is everyone's responsibility to care for the fatherless.  Tom Davis points out a variety of ways we can care for the fatherless and he broadens it to more than only the physically orphaned child.  I love that because it broadened my view to be on the lookout for ways to bless and aid others on a daily basis and I think it would also be a good read for someone who can't adopt at the moment but wants to be a part of the call to care for the fatherless.  There are so many ways to be involved and help.  As he says, we all would consider ourselves to be compassionate but "compassion equals involvement."

No comments:

Post a Comment