Tuesday, December 7, 2010

What a day

Today was one of those days.  You've all had them, I'm sure, where nothing much seems to go as planned.  I was really tired, which I'm sure didn't help my perspective any either! 

The other day we received our immigration cards (yay! this was good because until we received them we have not been able to do anything to get set up or established here).  Now we are official Korean aliens, I think.  Getting set up and established in another country is a lot of work!  And there are a lot of details to work through and take care of.  We have been thankful for people like Rock and Pastor Nelson and others who are helping us navigate through. 

But the plan today was to go take our driver's tests to get a driver's license and be able to drive, get set up with our healthcare, set up bank accounts and get cell phones.  We started with the driver's license and went to Suwon (same town we went to apply for our immigration cards that I posted about a while back).  Turns out we now need paperwork from the U.S. Embassy to get our license, so it was a wasted trip.  And Caleb had a meltdown in his carseat on the way home (never fun, but extra not fun when you are driving with someone else and they have to listen to your kid).  On to healthcare!  Which turns out has changed and now you need to wait 3 months before you can get signed up....we're going to try to figure out a way around that and talk to some more people but for today it didn't get done.  Bank accounts did get set up (but are still empty) and cell phones should be ready tomorrow but it was quite the experience getting them (or so I'm told....Caleb and I bowed out and went home to take a nap.  Both of us, which is rare). 

So it is always a little discouraging when days don't go as planned but it helps to know and trust that God is watching over our plans and holds things in His hands, even when they don't turn out as planned.

On a happier note, I have an adorable son and a loving, servant-hearted, adoring husband and they both smile and giggle a lot, which helps boost the mood even on hard days.  Today, on our way out the door, I was running late getting my coat and Steve and Caleb walked outside before me.  For whatever reason, I couldn't get the door open (ahem ahem) and when I did BOTH of them started laughing at me....Like I think  I mentioned the other day, Caleb now laughs when other people are laughing. It's pretty funny.

AND changing the subject slightly, Caleb took his first steps last night and took several more in a row today.  I'm not sure that 4 steps in a row can be considered a 'walker' but he isn't far off! 

I don't think there is anything quite like seeing your baby stand on his own two feet for the first time. 

1 comment:

  1. "So it is always a little discouraging when days don't go as planned but it helps to know and trust that God is watching over our plans and holds things in His hands, even when they don't turn out as planned." Very encouraging to me way over on this side of the world today!

    Sarah, I love your mama heart! "I don't think there is anything quite like seeing your baby stand on his own two feet for the first time."

    ReplyDelete